PRINCETON — Bureau County Covered Bridge Workcamp is July 28 through Aug. 3. There are many opportunities for local residents, groups and congregations to support this mission event.
Youths and adults (who have pre-registered with Group Workcamps) will come from all over the USA, even from Bureau County, to do the actual free home repairs for elderly, handicapped and lower-income residents of Bureau County who will be selected from applications submitted by Nov. 30, 2018.
Here some ways local entities can participate in this mission event:
• People can sign up to be part of a 24-hour prayer vigil during the week of Workcamp. To register, go to www.BureauCoWorkcamp.org and click on the “Prayer Vigil” link. The prayer vigil participant names will be part of display to show the campers on the final night.
• A congregation or organization could adopt a site to provide treats on location of a home repair site for a small group of workers (6 to 12 people) or to provide evening treats for the whole camp (about 200 people). Interested parties should send an email to email@example.com or to firstname.lastname@example.org so that organizers can contact you.
• Businesses or groups can donate items for the welcome bags that will be given to each camper. Interested parties should send an email to email@example.com or to firstname.lastname@example.org so that organizers can then verify what can be used.
• Individuals (and groups) can offer to be a support volunteer to assist in the background to all of the youths and adults registered to do the free home repair. Interested parties should find the “Bureau County Workcamp 2019” Facebook page, and click on “Workcamp 2019 Volunteer Registration.” Paper “Volunteer Application Forms” also have been sent to area congregations.
• There is a need for individuals or groups who can do follow-up work by doing any touch-up or finish any projects not completed the week the Workcamp due to weather or other reasons. Local volunteers would complete any unfinished work on Saturdays, Aug. 3 and 10. Interested parties should find the “Bureau County Workcamp 2019” Facebook page, and click on “Workcamp 2019 Volunteer Registration.” Paper “Volunteer Application Forms” also have been sent to area congregations.
• Church youth groups can register to attend a week-long camp (age 12-plus and adult chaperones) at $464 per person. These participants will actually do the free home repair and stay at Princeton High School with the entire camp. For more information and to register, go to www.GroupMissionTrips.org and under “Mission Trip Type” click on “Workcamps – Home Repair” and go to “Location/Region” then “Midwest (USA)” to find the Princeton (Bureau County) Workcamp.
Bureau County Covered Bridge Workcamp is organized through the expertise of Group Mission Trips. Locally the hosting co-sponsors are St. Matthews Lutheran Church in Princeton and Community United Methodist Church in LaMoille.
Co-sponsors are Church Women United, Bruce Jewelers, Bunker Hill Church of Buda, Evangelical Covenant Church of Princeton, Malden Lions Club, St. John Lutheran Church on the Hill of rural Princeton and Walmart. Sponsors are Hampshire Colony Congregational Church of Princeton, First Lutheran Church of Ohio and Bureau County Republican Women, along with sponsorships in-kind from Princeton High School, city of Princeton and Perry Memorial Hospital.